Saturday 18 February 2012

Champagne Feathers.

Hi there.

First off, I'd like to say welcome and thank you to my new followers.  I've gained quite a few this week, which I am delighted about.
Another post so soon but I just couldn't resist sharing this with you.  I've been working on it for the last 3 nights.

It's my very first wholecloth worked on this gorgeous champagne satin.  I think it looks like a bit of foil and reminds me of a Quality Street sweetie wrapper !

I worked fancy feathers with swirly off shoots.

I was going to do outline quilting in the background but decided on good old stippling instead.

The binding is also satin - tricky to work with to say the least but worth the effort.

This is the fabric I used for the binding.  It is genuine 1970's satin.  I got it from a lady on ebay who was clearingout her aunt's things.  She was a dressmaker in the 60/70's.   I have about 3 metres and it was an absolute find.   I'm debating what to do with the rest of it now.  Can I piece a quilt from satin  ? .......   mmmm don't know about that - it's very slippery to work with and cutting the binding wasn't easy.

I used 3 different sized bowls for the uneven scalloped edge.  I wanted it to look a bit lopsided and for the scallops to be different sizes but I think it could have been more pronounced.  Still, not bad for a first attempt at scalloping.

I'm going to put this in my bedroom on a red wall  ( a muted red , not a bright cherry red) - I think it will look nice there.

Anyway , after a week of machine quilting , I feel the need to go and do some piecing now..
Have a great weekend everyone.
See you all next time.
Rhianon.

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Now you have out done yourself.....gone over the top!!! This is spectacular. The champagne color is beautiful and shows the stitching so well. Then the scallops and dark trim---beautiful fabric--are great. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration to try more feathers!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Wow, gorgeous work, Rhianon!

Lynette said...

It's so gorgeous!! I'm *impressed* at the satin binding. I bet you could piece with it the same way people piece with silk - I've seen them mention some type of super-thin fusible that they use for working with it.

Linda Coleman said...

Oh Rhianon you are such a talented lady. This is a fantastic piece of work.

barbara woods said...

that is beautiful wish i could do that maybe someday

Helen in the UK said...

Absolutely stunning quilting!! I applaud you for your patience with working with that satin :)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Toooooo beautiful! Love your quilting on satin!

Unknown said...

fantastic

dubai yacht rentals

Anonymous said...

Beautiful feathers. Saw this after taking a look at your bloggers quilt festival post. Love the satiny feel for this quilt, it looks like it's soft and puffy and like I really want to touch this quilt. Feathers on here also are amazing! Good thing you're working on the feathers, or were in february, it paid off!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...