Saturday 7 July 2012

TUTORIAL - Applying Transfer Foils with Bondaweb

You can add special effects to your work such as transfer foils using Bondaweb.
Here's how:


These are transfer foils.  They come in a range of colours and I got mine from a quilt show.  If your local shop does not have them, try a craft retailer or online. 


Choose your design to have the transfer foils applied to.  Using Bondaweb cut out shapes and apply them SMOOTH side up with a hot iron ( no steam ) directly onto your design.
Now peel off the paper from the bondaweb.


Lay the transfer foil coloured side UP over your design.



Next, lay a piece of grease proof paper/ baking parchment over the foil and press with a hot iron ( no steam) for a few seconds.


Gently peel the foil from the design and the you will see where the colour has been transfered onto the bondaweb.




Feel free to finish your design with any stitching you like.

A word of caution here , I do not know if the foils are washable after they are applied as I have not finished this piece yet and it was my first time of using the foils.
I have a feeling they may be suitable for art quilts only but I will come back and let you know how this quilt turns out after washing.


Have fun with your foils!
Rhianon.

8 comments:

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great tutorial, I remember using transfer foils years ago on T-shirts, eventually it would wear off from washing and drying but would be perfect on art quilts!

Lynette said...

Whoa - totally cool! Even if they can only be used on art quilts, this is really neat, and I'm so glad you shared. :)

Martha said...

Awesome!!! I love this technique!! Thanks for sharing, now to find the foil and the Bondaweb!!

Martha said...

Awesome!!! I love this technique!! Thanks for sharing, now to find the foil and the Bondaweb!!

Sandy said...

That's quite interesting! I like the shiny texture it gives the fish.

Anonymous said...

Where do you find Bondaweb?

The Nifty Stitcher said...

Nicole, I can get Bondaweb in my local fabric store here in the UK. I have heard that Misty Fuse is something similar. I know that is available in the USA. Why not ask your local quilt shop if they can help or look online. Hope that helps :)

Mara said...

Have you found out how well the transfer foils do on the fabric, are yours still there?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...