Sunday 4 August 2013

Hummingbird Wall Hanging - the embroidery bit.

Hi everyone
I've been busy working on my hummingbird piece - it was time to begin the bird itself....


I started by laying down feathers at the top of the tail.  I'm using 2 strands of  embroidery cotton. It's Anchor or DMC  threads.



                                                             Taking shape now.




It's slow work but I love it.  I've been getting up very early in the mornings to work on this.


 Embroidery stitches I'm using are : split stitch, chain stitch, stem stitch. satin stitch and an open fly stitch.  Nothing too technical, it is just time consuming building it all up.  It will be worth it and I can't wait to quilt this one.




 I'm very pleased with how his body has turned out.  To get that effect, I am mixing one strand of one colour with another.

Nearly ready to move the work up on the frame and start another hummingbird.  There are 3 altogether so a little while to go before I get this one finished.
I hope you come back to see my progress.
Have a great week!
Rhianon.

7 comments:

Robin said...

Rhianon, your hummingbird is beautiful! I have a hummingbird visit me often throughtout the day. I named him Stewart and he loves the flowers right by my sewing room window. Your birdie is just as cute as Stewart!

Debbie said...

Absolutely beautiful stitches and hummer. This is going to be outstanding I think!

Susan Lawson said...

Wow that is beautiful! I really like the 2 color strands. The effects are stunning. I started embroidery when I was about 8 and after countless tea towels, pillowcases and doilies I gave it up...you make me want to try it again! ;)

Corina said...

wow, beautiful!

happydaysquilting said...

Delightful stitching, I love seeing what you are working on.

Susan said...

Absolutely beautiful! The two color strands add such dimension. You're a master at this!

Lynette said...

Oh, my!!! Rhianon, your hummingbird is exceptionally beautiful. Well done! Can't wait to see the others.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...